Norsevidur

Been having a blast working with Spine the past month, but recently ive stumbled upon a bug / problem im unable to solve. Up until now everything have been working smoothly, but now im getting spammed with a message saying "Some image files could not be read", and its starts to lag alot, and it wont stop until i delete the socket containing the images. This occurs both with small and large png's.

Im able to drag and view the images causing this, but the message wont stop until I remove them. Ive tried to search the forums and google, and im very surprised to see that next to noone but me experiences this.

Please help me, this makes it impossible to continue with my project.
Norsevidur
  • Beiträge: 7

Nate

Maybe you could send us a problematic image? contact@esotericsoftware.com
If not it would help to see your spine.log file:

Windows: <user home folder>\Spine\spine.log
Mac: <user home folder>/Library/Application Support/Spine/spine.log
Linux: <user home folder>/.spine/spine.log

---

Thanks for sending the files. They loaded OK for me. The log indicates that the memory to hold the decoded image could not be allocated. I've improved the log message.

The files are 2000x2000, which is large enough that you can see the green "loading" placeholder image while they are being decoded. I noticed they were being loaded multiple times while dragging in some cases (they flash green briefly), so that has been fixed. I also fixed when dragging multiple that the images aren't positioned correctly after loading until the mouse is moved.

I'm not sure the above will help you. I wonder what is causing Spine to use so much memory that more can't be allocated. If you are willing to send your Spine project file and all your images, I could find out. We'll keep your files confidential, but I understand if you are not comfortable doing this.
Benutzeravatar
Nate

Nate
  • Beiträge: 9161

Norsevidur

Thank you for looking at this so fast, great customer support!
After your reply I recreated the animation that caused this problem, and with your information I was able to figure out what the problem was.
I feel like a complete moron, I should have realised this by myself before contacting you.
In order for the "dark trail" to fit the rest of the character I had to scale every image in the attack X 3. I didnt think about the files sizes and in my attack animation im changing the picture like 19 times in the span of 1 second... no wonder I managed to max out the memory.

Sorry for bothering you with this, Nate.

But would be nice if you could include an explanation on your website what "Some image files could not be read" means incase someone else manages to do the same mistake as I did. I tried to google and search the forums for hours, but I could not find a single explanation, so I had no idea that it was my memory being maxed out that was the cause ( I should have used some common sense tho ).

Thank you alot for your help :)
Norsevidur
  • Beiträge: 7

Nate

Glad you got it worked out! FWIW, each 2000x2000 image takes about 16MB (200020004 bytes) of RAM to load and the same amount of GPU memory to keep loaded.

The message is now "Some image files could not be loaded." and the message in the log says that memory cannot be allocated when that is the case, so it should be a bit more clear.
Benutzeravatar
Nate

Nate
  • Beiträge: 9161


Zurück zu Bugs